Sunday, June 12, 2011

What's Next?

Mon-Friday Work, Dallas trip
Saturday 44 mile ride to Andice General Store
Sunday Off; taking kids to the pool
Now that CapTex is behind me, I'm unsure what comes next. If I'm being honest with myself, I've lost the commitment and dedication it takes to fit in workouts for three disciplines during the week. I just can't sustain 4am workouts before an hour-long commute only to arrive back home at 6pm to get in yet another workout before going to bed at 8pm to do it all over again. That's beyond a healthy lifestyle...mentally or physically. Training for the CapTex was more sustainable but I had no motivation to make the time for drives to the pool.
I share all that to say I'm leaning to becoming a training duathlete and a full-time cyclist. What I mean by that is that I want to keep my fitness levels in cycling and running while concentrating on weekend group rides. Being able to jump on the bike trainer or treadmill or throwing on the running/cyling shoes and heading out the door when I have a few minutes for a run/ride is both much more likely to happen and more fun for me at this stage in my endurance athletics progression.
Heck, who knows. I may do a 5k or 10k now and then and even a sprint triathlon is not out of the question. The day may even come (within a decade) that another Ironman becomes part of my near future.
Make it a great week! Kia Kaha!

1 comment:

Schmidty said...

Karl,
You have been such an inspiration, and I would hope that you would take a lesson from your own notes about what is next. You dont have to "race" every weekend or have huge events lined up on the calendar to continue to live this new healthy life you have discovered.
Ride as often as you want or as time will allow, run and swim with the same notion. Race when you want and enjoy it for the pleasure of racing and competing. Don't take the fun out of it by being a slave to training.
The best plan you have is to have no plan at all for the immediate future other than to enjoy living a healthy lifestyle that involves fitness.
Keep it up, you are an inspiration!

Schmidty