Sunday, July 3, 2011

Tour de France and Travelete

Took the entire week off training/exercising. As the final week of the month at work, I caught up on my June activity reports and finalizing my numbers for the month. Our fiscal year runs Sept. 1 to Aug. 31, so unlike many of my colleagues around the country, we still have two months until the close of our fiscal year. I am pleased to report that at the end of May, the college's development numbers were 28% ahead of last year. I'm optimistic to end the year with one of our best fundraising years of the past few.
The next few weeks are full of activities and promise to make July pass like a flash. My grandmother visits from California this coming week, our family is taking a few days in Houston the following week, we celebrate Tristan's 13th birthday the third week, and we leave for Puerto Rico the final week of July. Being a month since my participation in the CapTex tri, it is also my intent to get back to training starting this coming week. I won't be training for any particular race but instead to keep up with my cycling partners. That's all the motivation I need right now.
This weekend is the beginning of the Tour de France. It has me itching to ride. We had a weekend full of family activities this weekend that kept me from riding, but I plan to get some rides in over the next few weeks.
This week is also the unveiling of Travelete, a web concept Claude and I have been visioning for several months, perhaps a year or more. The idea is to provide the traveling athlete a place to share their training locations and thus providing a crowdsourced resource for people to find the best (and worst) places to train, race, and exercise from around the world. With Claude's hotel background, this also provides hotels a place to brag about the ways they cater to the traveling athlete.
We hope you will visit our Facebook page (http://facebook.com/travelete) and LIKE it; follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/travelete_); and check out our Tumblr (http://travelete.tumblr.com). In true startup fashion, we are doing this on a shoestring and are putting this out there so we can "fail early and fail often." Only in this way will we build the concept people want. Please post your own training location photos, comments, and advice on Facebook, Twitter, and/or the Tumblr. Send us your recommendations/suggestions. We are in the early stages and we covet your involvement and advice and critiques.
Happy 4th of July! Make it a great week, All! Kia Kaha!

No comments: