Monday, February 22, 2010

Bacon Weekly- Body Fights Back Week

Mon- off
Tues- 3 X 1 mile at 7:00 avg, 1/10 mile rest between each (on track)
Wed- 3 miles at 9:26 avg
Thurs- 5 miles at 8:56 avg
Fri- off
Sat- 15 miles at 10:12 avg ( 45 degrees) (2,138 calories)
Sun- 3 miles at 9:14 avg ( 60 degrees)


Pretty fun week overall and topped it off with my longest run to date and a bunch of lessons. Quickly, the other runs were really good and felt swift and speedy most days....the Tuesday speed day was inside on the track and challenging.

The 15 miler started off with some light sun but quickly faded to clouds and wind. I think my preference is colder temps with sun than warmer (a whopping 45 degrees) and clouds. I chose a tough route too that included some great hills and more. Spent 8.5 miles in zone 2 and 4.2 in zone 3, and 1 mile in zone 1. Was easy to hold the pace down on this run cause I didn't feel particulalry speedy on this day and made me doubt if I can pull off a sub 4 hour marathon. I spent more miles in the dumps than I did on the upside, but I think it was weather related mood swings. Carrying 32 ounces of gatorade on my belt and 1 gel proved not enough for me...took the first gel at 1 hour; and finished my last bottle at 11.5 miles worked me over...with only a dime in my pouch that I found on the run..no money for a store stop. At 13 miles, I seriously considered scraping off some dirty snow to find some clean to get some water, but talked myself out of it cause I was scared of the yard chemicals prevelant in our area. Finally reached the house and Samantha got me a refill for the last few miles, but really too late. So at precisely the 13.1 mile mark it was obvious that I had yet to go longer in my career cause the body fought back...big time.... my calves felt like a monster had a hand on each and squeezing like an orange....my last 2 miles at 10:45 adn 11:49 respectlivley....punished....I think running low on fluids ulitmately caused the cramps, but the new distance was surely a part..... so I need to tuck a few bucks in the pouch for a refill down the road, plus need to take an extra gel, so next time I'll take one at one hour and one at 2 hours. Ended the run barely walking and greeted by my great wife taking care of me like an infant...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We are all different and you are learning what YOUR body needs. One of the greatest things about endurance athletics is how well we get to know our body and its needs. Unfortunately, those lessons come with pain and discomfort.
As you learn how many calories YOU burn per hour, you'll get a better sense for how many you need to put back in.
And, yes, it's great to have that helpful partner. That's wonderful!