Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bacon Weekly

Mon-Fri- Taper week, easy runs, rides and swims

Sat-Lakewood Valley Sprint Triathlon


Men, this is the most difficult race report I've had to write since you guys welcomed me to your blog. Roughly 10 minutes into the swim, I panicked and pulled myself from the race. Yesterday was quite difficult on me and only guys like you and my family who have read and experienced my journey can fully appreciate the disappointment I had yesterday while riding the boat in behind the last swimmers to come out of the water some 31 minutes after I pulled myself. I am now jokingly calling it the "ride of shame" to the boat dock. The expereinces of open water swimming, that could only be experienced by competiting, were quite humbling and to be held in high regard for anyone who completes ANY distance in triathlete swimming. After hitting the dock and seeing my family visible upset, I shed a few tears when I hit the dock and walked over to greet them all. A neighbor friend of mine approached and encouraged me to gate the swim and finish the other legs and he promised I would feel better than sitting on the sidelines. I agreed and made my way to the first tranistion mounted my bike and headed out, after the ride, I parked again and finished the run...both distances were without the spirit of competition; however times to consider what I could learn from this, my mistakes, and next steps. Yesterday, I had no actual plans of doing this again...I had considered at one point that maybe I should just stick with running and biking...carrying those thoughts forward made me feel worse I think. I can talk about all my mistakes later...What did I learn and what good could possibly come out of this? I had the opportunity to talk about failure and disappointment with my daughter, it gave my wife the opportunity to help her obviously hurting husband, and after some time to be disappointed, it made me want it even more. The major mistake I made was not staying around for the awards ceremony and congrtaulating the others in my swim class. I was most disappointted for not doing that yesterday. I was more concerned about me than I was for my fellow racer...I'll have to deal with that one, but again helped me learn that this ride we are all on, while an individual sport, is not only about me/us...in fact, at church this morning I fully understood who this is about. Today was a much better day with a brighter outlook, so this morning, I pulled up trifind.com and made notes of any race in KY,TN, or IN that I could try this again. I'll join my local YMCA and keep swim training as long as it takes. I will do this and more....I will do as many races as it takes to overcome the obstacles in my way. I encourage you to do the same...whatever it is for you, don't give up...keep moving and keep pushing. Failure is just an event...it's not my life or your life...it's just an event and it's passed now, over...tomorrow's a new day.....now, I'll get back to enjoying the celebration cake and ice cream that my family had waiting for me on my return...I'm going to have a piece or two each night until it's gone; then back to the training and the next opportunity to succeed. Thanks again for the opportunity to share my success and failures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I shared this with you personally, but I wanted to do so publicly, too.
Brother, you toed the line at the starting line to an event less than one percent of all people will ever do. And despite what happened, you had the discipline, commitment, and courage to get on the bike and finish the run. I know that took guts and I'm proud of you.
I know you'll get back on the horse and you'll have your full triathlon soon. Regardless, you are a triathlete and don't doubt that for a minute. We don't become a triathlete when we complete the race. We become a triathlete the day we start training for that first race.