Sunday, June 14, 2009

Road to Ironman Arizona (6/08-6/14/09)

Monday 1:20 bike with 8x20 second sprints

Tuesday 45 minute run + 2x20 second strides

Wednesday Brick: 1 hour bike + 20 minute run

Thursday Off (Travel from Dallas)

Friday 2:30 bike

Saturday 1:20 run (plus loading and unloading a U-Haul in 100 degree heat)

Sunday Rest Day

I was supposed to train over 10 hours this week but was only able to get in 7:18 hours. The move to the new house and a work trip to Dallas mid-week were obstacles, as is the fact my swimming pool membership ended and I’m still looking for a place to swim. I hope to have that remedied by the end of today.

That said, the first week of training was OK. Outside of not getting it all in, the work I did do went well. I have to admit to some soreness on Thursday, but I also noticed that my run intensity at the same heart rate zone has gone up. That bodes well for this first 8 weeks of base training.

We are in our new home and just love it. It’s nice to have a place that is REALLY yours and for the first time in 3 years, I finally feel at home. We have a lot of boxes to get through before we have it as we want it, but that will come. I have a running trail that begins just outside our cul-de-sac and have easy access to great cycling. Now if I can just get my pool situation figured out.

It’s been 99-100 degrees in Austin starting last week and going straight through the next week. Heat indices are well over 100 (105-109). That means getting up early to get the workouts in and spending afternoons at the community pool whenever possible.

Men, I hope all of you are finding some peace in the issues you’ve been dealing with over the past weeks and months. Please know you can call me ANYTIME if I can be of help or just offer an ear.

Kia Kaha!

No comments: