Sunday, July 11, 2010

Summary of training/racing


It's been a while since I reported but there is plenty to tell. This is basically a summary of what has been a build up of mileage the last several weeks. For three weeks I have been building up some base miles and going back to my crossfit strength training leading up to this week. Between 6/20 - 7/3 I put in just shy of 300 miles on my bike. Saturday July 3rd culminated with a 20 mile warm up ride followed by a 5k Race (28:05 not bad for a guy who hates to run), followed by jumping back on the bike for another 45 mile ride.

This week (7/4-7/11) was a maintenance week leading up to today for the Blue Grass State games Circuit Race. The entire family was packed up and on the road by 6a.m. headed for Lexington. Cole was racing in the 10-12 yr old division (he finished 3rd last year). He was disappointed to finish 4th this year, but the race was much longer and tougher. He has been riding alot with me and some of the guys and is starting to put in some real mileage. I think his legs were flat. I'm still very proud.

I was racing in the CAT5 under 40 division (yes, I'm just under 40). This would be my last chance against the young guys in this division. I was super pleased, I followed my race plan, pushed the pace early, covered several attacks and made the final selection of 4 guys. I knew I had no chance in a short up hill sprint, so I launched super early trying to put these guys away. One guy shot off the back and in the end it was three across the line. I just didn't have the final couple of pedal strokes to match the two other guys. Kudos to their effort.

I was super stoked to finish 3rd. It was a tough race and I felt tactically I did everything right from the first pedal stroke. Lot's to improve on, but feeling great to be racing and training with my son, and having my family at races. It is an incredible feeling when you hear your family cheering.

On a side note, Becca is rehabbing from ACL surgery. She is out walking as I type. Doctor is pleased with her progress and she can start riding a trainer this week. She will be back soon, so look out.

Keep working brothers, I see you all out there working hard!!!

Schmidty

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Schmidts are making themselves known as THE KY biking dynasty! I love it! Kudos to you and Cole. I can only imagine how proud you are of him. And kudos to you, brother. You put in the work and it paid off! You KY boys are all collecting all the podium hardware. We Texas boys stand in your shadows.
All our best to Becca on recuperating. Sounds like she's right on track.
Have fun in Paris!!! Tell Lance I said hello.