Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bacon Weekly

Mon- travel to Atlanta
Tues- return from Atlanta
Wed-Sat- sinus infection plus rib strain
Sun- 4 miles @ 8:32 pace

Interesting week....started with a travel week that turned a small bit of exaustion to a full flegded sinus infection. Then, some crazy back strain that moved to my ribs forced my training to an overall hault until today. I did, what I hope turns out to be, the smart thing and took the time to heal. That said, it was the first weekend of turkey season and I pushed the sinus infection to hit the woods with Brent Thomas. Lucky for us, some 25 minutes into our hunt, I called up 2 monster gobblers and with the old "1-2-3" we took both of them at about 10 yards....instant death...I'll post the pics later. Later that evening, Brent also saved me from a trip to the emergency room and an end to my Derby run. We were dismantiling our turkey blinds, we had set-up two, and as I turned one of them over I stood all but 1 foot or less from a nasty,coiled, water moccasin (cottonmouth). Brent grabbed my shirt and jerked me quickly out of the way. After several heart pounds, Mr. Cottonmouth was chewing on the end of a lead pipe...a 4 footer that would have made a mess of month, and probably year. He was in the blind too, fortunatly we did not hunt that blind; otherwise we would have crawled in the blind with him on a dark morning and likely been bitten. OK enough drama....running felt good today...I have a nice week of training before the race....I WILL BE READY!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Didn't tell me about the cottonmouth and the sinus infection. Dude, glad to hear all is well now.
Tonight will probably be your last chance for a good night's sleep prior to race day. You'll be too nervous to sleep tomorrow night.
Enjoy!

CBacon said...

Hope the cottonmouth deal wasn't a bad omen...in fact, I like to think it was a good one...cause I'll strike like a snake in the race tomorrow!