Sunday, April 26, 2009

Dinos Weekly

Mon: 4 mile run at 7:29 pace
Wed: 4 mile run at 7:46 pace
Thu: 2 mile easy run at 9:34 pace
Sat: KY Derby full Marathon: 26.2 miles @ 10:27 pace

Where do I start? I feel like I did everything I could have possibly done to succede in my first marathon. Ate right, logged in the miles, and had a great taper. The one thing I didnt do was order the appropriate weather and didnt have any time to aclimate to such weather. I suppose I had no control over these issues. The one thing I could have done better was to be smarter about my pace setting. I felt so strong, I thought I was invincible. Nothing was going to keep me from running under 4 hours. I really was thinking more like 3:40 or less. I also wanted to see how long I could go for a 7:30 pace (big mistake). I knew this was a wrong way to think and I knew Karl was letting me learn the "hard way" and did not discourage this thinking. Deep down he knew I was going to hit the wall (and I did). So here goes my tale: ran beautifully for 14 miles. A personal best at the 13.1 mile mark (1:37 and some change) Felt good. However at the split where Mini-marathoners went left and the full marathoners went right..... I lost a lot of motivation and felt very lonely. I went from shoulder to shoulder runners to just a few here and there. Its definately the "Road less traveled". Also, the remaining runners were not just "regular joes" like myself. These runners were skilled and expierenced runners who have already tasted the "Wall".... After 14 miles I was stuck in full sunshine and hot air blowing in my face. Then came Cherokee park with more hills equal to Iraquois park......I went from qualifying at Boston on mile 14 to walking at mile 19.5..... I would walk a bit and jog a bit. Had to urinate. Pissed myself a bit before I decided to piss in some dudes front yard leaned up against a tree. Then I carried onward with a slow jog....Then the cramping began... Nothing I could do... stretch, walk, cramp. Couldnt take more than 5 steps without cramping in the calves, groin, and body....So, I really felt like a failure. How could this be? I drank so much water. I was still urinating. yet cramping like none other. I held my head low and cursed myself for being so naive. The 3:20 pace setter went flying by. then the 3:45.......Then here came the 4 hour pace setter trying to recruit anyone he passed. I tried, but began to cramp more. I walked about the last 5.5 miles.... the walk of shame......As soon as is saw the finish... began to jog again.... the cramps were gone and I managed to jog the finish line...It was ugly... got much sympothy from many spectators. much encouragement. That helped a bit.... soon as I finished, I could not go on....had to visit the medical tent briefly just to lay down a bit. Melanie took care of me after the medical tent and i began to recover ever so slowly. I was excited to finish but a little disappointed with my time. However, we bought a book at the expo by Dan R. (the guy who ran 52 marathons in 52 weeks) In this book was a stat that helps me. Only 1 in 1,000 people in the world have ran a marathon (26.2) If you do the math that is 1/10th of 1 percent.... A pretty elite group. Proud to be in that 1/10th of 1 percent. I owe much thanks to all that Have made me strive for such a goal. Thanks to all that "Bettered the I am". And now looking back on yesterday.... my body is recovering nicely (a little sore in the Achilles tendon area)....I lost 8 pounds on the run and have regained about 3 back so far. Ive been eating everything in sight. And yes men....... I shall run again soon. And yes, I want to do yet another marathon ..... maybe in december or jan when the weather is cooler..... I learned some valuable lessons during my run...... You tend to learn more from the failures........I will succede on runs to come. I will break 4 hours.... and who knows maybe even better!

Dino Bravo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dino, my brother, you know I never bet against you. I knew you had it in you to do something great. I'm proud of your attitude on this and so glad to hear you are already looking forward. Hell, my first marathon took me nearly 5 hours. Not even three months later, my next one took me 41 minutes less. The experience of the first one can't be taught. It has to be experienced.
You'll make it to Boston. I'm afraid I don't have what it takes, but when you go, I want to be at the finish line if at all possible.
Take some time off. You've earned it. They say take it easy for as many days as you ran miles. So for the next 26 days, take it easy. Only run in another couple weeks if you want. Then...go give it hell again!
Congratulations and welcome to the marathon finishers club! Proud of you brother!