Sunday, September 20, 2009

Road to Ironman Arizona (9/14-9/20/09)

Monday Rest Day

Tuesday Rest Day- Took two rest days following Sunday’s PrairieMan Half Ironman. Quads were a little sore and I was a bit fatigued.

Wednesday Bike/Run Brick Workout (1:30 hour bike, 45 minute run at threshold intensity); This was a real confidence booster. After a hard day on Sunday and only two days off, I was able to put together 5.6 miles in 45 minutes at threshold for an 8:02 pace.

Thursday 1:45 hour steady state bike (morning); 2725 yards swim workout (350 warm up, 10x25 drills, 5x100 at moderate intensity, 8X100 at VO2 max, 9x25 at speed, 10x25 kick, 350 cool down) (afternoon)

Friday Off Day

Saturday 5 hours on bike trainer- Our son had flag football practice and our daughter had cheer clinic, so I had to break up my bike workout into two sessions of 2:30 hours each. 5 hours on the trainer is brutally monotonous but thanks to the 2Pac channel on Pandora on my iPhone, I survived it. A bike trainer session is more intense than my traditional outdoor ride and those 5 hours are comparable to 6 or 7 hours of outdoor riding (no free spinning or downhills).

Sunday 2:30 hours long run (10 minutes run/1 minute walk)- The run felt great. I only felt muscle fatigue in the last couple of miles and was able to push a fast pace coming down the home stretch. I dialed in my nutrition/hydration and that definitely helped. I followed the run with a 3600 yard long swim in the community pool. The cool water was great for my tire legs and I didn’t cramp up until the very final lap. 72 laps in the pool is as brutally monotonous, if not more, than the bike trainer. No 2Pac to keep me company.

After three hard weeks including a half Ironman race, I’m looking forward to the coming recovery week. Only 9:36 hours of training in the week ahead. SAAAAWEET!

This coming week is the IMAZ minus 2-month mark. It will be here before we know it. The butterflies are already starting to build, so I can only imagine how I’ll feel the week of, the day/night before, and the morning of. That said, the training has increased my confidence greatly and I’m looking forward to taking what will be 37 weeks of training into competition.

My thanks to Schmidt Dog for calling to check in on me after the half Ironman. He mentioned that we need to begin thinking about our adventure for next year and getting something on the calendar. For various reasons we weren’t able to get anything scheduled this year. Please give thought to what we might want to do and let’s start the discussion and planning.

Kia Kaha!

No comments: