Sunday, September 27, 2009

Road to Ironman Arizona (9/21-9/27/09)

Monday 2200 yard swim in community pool

Tuesday 1:25 hour Bike lactate intervals workout

Wednesday 36 minute Run lactate intervals workout

Thursday Off

Friday 1:00 hour foundation bike workout

Saturday 1:30 hour ride from 5th St. to Shoal Creek/183 and back with Aaron Rochlen

Sunday Off

Thank goodness this was a recovery week because my heart and mind weren’t into training this week. Allergy season has hit Austin (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) crowned Austin, Texas "the most challenging place to live with fall allergies.”) and I’m a sufferer. I spend most of the day unable to breathe and the only way I can sleep is thanks to drowsiness-inducing nose sprays. Getting up early for workouts was extra torture this week. I am on both oral and nasal allergy medication (non-drowsy formulas) and I feel as good today as I have in many days.

Whether caused by the allergies or from overtraining, I felt very fatigued both mentally and physically this week. I chose to skip some workouts and take two days off completely in order to get some needed rest and in hopes of getting mentally re-charged for the final few weeks of training ahead.

That said, I got in over half of my assigned workouts and still had good results. I feel much more rested and ready to begin the peak period of my training plan tomorrow. The Peak will include longer sessions at threshold intensity in order to take my fitness level to race intensity preparedness. I look forward to the challenging workouts ahead and the taper which follows this phase right into race day.

Two weeks from today is the Ironman World Championships in Kona. I look forward to spending much of that day by my computer (hooked up to the TV) watching the best IM athletes in the world battling it out for both elite and age-group titles. Kona is a great motivator going into my final weeks of training.

All my best wishes to my Team Topper Tri brothers and to all those who follow our weekly updates. Make it a great week and keep on tri-ing!

Kia Kaha!

No comments: