Sunday, December 20, 2009

Ironman…check! Now What’s Next?

I have yet to begin training after completing Ironman Arizona. Today is four weeks to the day since the race. The weather in central Texas has been unseasonably cold and rainy. I know it’s nothing to some of you withstanding freezing cold temperatures and snow, but when you are used to warm temperatures and are trying to get motivated to get BACK into training, the weather has not helped my motivation. Perhaps when I get some races on the schedule, I’ll be more inclined to hit the winter roads. I’ll try to do that in the week to come. For now, my focus is elsewhere.

As many of you are aware, I nominated Jennifer for the 2009 TriWidow of the Year Competition. No, this does not mean that she’s been a widow three times. A Triwidow is a spouse who has been left alone due to their spouse’s triathlon training. My poor wife was once a Golf Widow, only to trade it in for what can be one of the few worse options to a true widow..a Tri Widow.

I have surprised even myself with how obsessed I’ve become over helping her win. Our closest competitor is the wife of a well-known triathlon podcaster and blogger, and they have been most worthy adversaries. Every day, I wake to find them a few votes ahead or even fewer behind. It’s not been more than 47 votes apart at any time during the week-long competition.

It’s been an interesting experiment for me in the power of social media and networks. I’ve utilized Twitter, Facebook, blogs, LinkedIn, and traditional email. Our networks have responded and as of this morning we have over 500 votes. That’s an average of 70 votes per day, 6 per hour, 1 every 10 minutes. It’s not Obamaesque, but it’s been a fun example of what’s possible through these networks.

Please go to http://www.triwidows.com and vote. The names are listed on the left hand side of the page. After you’ve voted, I invite you to read my nomination of Jennifer and the nominations for the other competitors. I then ask you to please consider sending an email, posting on your Facebook status, sending a tweet, posting on your LinkedIn status, etc. asking your friends, family, and colleagues to vote for your friend Jennifer. It’s a beautiful story of support and sacrifice. Share it with others. Thank you!

Until next week…Kia Kaha!

1 comment:

CBacon said...

Excited to get you back, but I know you're enjoying some time with the family and other stuff...you'll be back soon enough....you're an ironman....they always come back for more!