Saturday, June 19, 2010

Champions 4 Her 5K

Got talked into a 5K today by one of my wife's cousins. He is just starting to run the races and is at about 4 mile long runs. I ran as a courtesy to him and to motivate him along a larger race field. It was his largest race but still a rather small one for the Louisville area. There were many females as it was a charity run to benefit women in need. None the less, I toed the line to see what Dino still had in the tank. I have been doing a few maintenance runs and a few bikes, but nothing to really blast the quick twitching muscle group.

I ran the first mile in 6:20 to great surprise. I was rolling but knew I could not hold that pace. It began to rain and I just settled in with a nice comfy pace. I finished in 21:52 (not bad for carrying an extra 6 pounds and a little out of shape). During the run I counted people ahead of me and figured I came in the top 20 racers in a field of around 800 people. I stuck around for the awards presentation just to see the times and If I got in the top 3 of my age group. The overall winner did a 17 min and some change. And to my surprise I finished 1st in the 40-44 age group. Another nice trophy for the kid! I guess it pays to turn 40 and pick and choose your race field (mainly chics). Really made me feel good and hopefully I can get back on the diet and exercise lifestyle.

Also took in "The Tempest" last night in Central Park. Its Shakespeare in the Park at dusk. Really cool... jogged the old brain a bit. And it was free. We enjoyed a nice dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory downtown........ I lived a bit and have been an active participant in the Old Louisville Neighborhood. feels awesome. Now, just need to get going with the downtown YMCA and find a new job. Still working 60-75 hours weekly.... not good for anything(other than paying the mortgage).

Melanie also raced today.... she met and networked with a lady and they participated and had fun as well. She found a new workout partner at her level.... great!

later

Dino

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dino, you are an animal on the run! I can wish for 21:52 and you're busting it out without being at your best. Love it! Nice work!
Liking the cultural outlet with Shakespeare in the Park. You are quite the Renaissance man.
As for the job, we may be laying people off in the coming weeks/months. 60-75 hours of work can be a mixed blessing, as I know you know.
Glad to see life going so well for you. You are making it happen and sucking the marrow out of it. Inspirational!