Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Robotic Lifeguard Uses Sonar to Sense Swimmers in Distress

I was a pool lifeguard for a couple of summers in my teens. Growing up in Kentucky, I didn't have an ocean within summer job distance.

A teenage boy growing up in rural Kentucky couldn't do much better than this summer gig. Some suntan oil, swim trunks, and a whistle were all I needed for my day's work. Girls in bikinis, music on the many radios around the pool, a high dive and a low dive to show off from during the mandatory hourly breaks...life was good.I jumped in the water three times to "save" someone and the fulfillment of literally saving a life is an experience hard to describe.

It was probably the best job I'll ever have.

http://m.fastcompany.com/technology/6958/

Posted via email from Karl Miller Lugo

No comments: