Sunday, April 10, 2011

Round Rock Express Ride

Sorry for not posting last week. It was our 18th wedding anniversary weekend, so Saturday we got a sitter and had dinner and saw a movie. Sunday was our actual anniversary, so we hung out as a family all day. I still got my bike, run, and swim on, however.

Here’s this week’s review:

Monday Day Off

Tuesday 1:15 Bike Long Hill Climbs (5 x 5 minute hill climbs at VO2Max intensity). This workout crushed me. I was sore all week and took Friday off just to get an additional rest day.

Wednesday 38 minutes Run Lactate Intervals (18X30 second intervals). This workout also hurts. Definitely builds endurance and speed, however.

Thursday 1 hour Bike Speed Intervals (7x1 minute at speed intensity)

Friday Day Off. Did Watch Dog DADS at my son’s school. It was awesome fun. I got to meet all his teachers, have lunch with him, and even got to sit in on his entire Spanish class. His teacher is from Puerto Rico and we played Spanish Pictionary. Tristan said he thought it was cool having me at school with him all day. I got to meet all his best friends. One of them told us that we act so much alike. Loved that comment!

Saturday 1:10 Long Run.  Negative split by over 4 minutes! If I could only do that on race day. Sad smile

Sunday Round Rock Express Ride 77 mile ride starting and ending at the Round Rock Express ballpark. Wind started at 17 mph and went up to 31 mph. It was freakin’ brutal! What should have been a nice smooth 4.5 hour ride turned into a 6-hour hell. I was in my pain cave for the last two hours. There were moments where I rode the Granny gear for several  miles! You even had to pedal going downhill because the wind would just hold you in place.  Just to give you a sense of how bad it was, I finished the 112 miles at IMAZ in 6:30…after swimming 2.4 miles. It took me almost as long to ride 77.

I started downing protein on the way home and ate for about an hour solid once I got home. I now have my legs up while I watch the Masters…and what a Masters this is. Wow!

It was a great training ride.  It will certainly make the rest of them seem easy. It was also a great way to break in my new baby. Check her out here. Got a great deal on her (anniversary gift from Jennifer), so now I can hit the roads on something other than my TT bike.  (Hint: get your wife some Tiffany jewelry and this is the kind of reciprocation you get.)

Ashley and Bighead come into town this week. We’ll be spending the weekend together and I look forward to being with them. Look out, Austin! Bighead and Sweet Willy are coming to town!

Make it a great week! Kia Kaha!

1 comment:

Schmidty said...

Karl,
You are like Ironman + super dad + super husband. What a cool program at Tristan's school for dads.
I am very impressed by the new bike; it is like being six on Christmas morning all over again when you get a new ride. I hope you enjoy it. Now I can’t make fun of you for riding your TT rig on group rides.
As far a riding in the wind, that is just resistance training, just think how strong you will be with now wind?

Schmidty