Monday, April 18, 2011

Training Partner

So I have been helping my good friend Toby Young train for a half Ironman distance event. He is now three weeks out and I feel good about the work we have designed this winter and spring. His progress has been incredible. He already had a plan, I just provided the motivation and a partner to pick on. The really cool part for me has been providing the friendly ear to listen when needed, and offer training experience and general knowledge. So while Toby has become this incredibly fit triathlon machine I have also benefited from the continued abuse he has put me through by training along side him. Part of our routine has been planning race like events in Columbia since our personal schedules have not allowed for us to attend any early season races. We are trying to give Toby as much race ready experience as possible. So with the help of some other willing participants we have held several races. Last weekend we offered a bike/run/swim-(22.0 miles/10K/1000 meters). We have to offer the swim last to work around open swim times/daylight in the pool. This has been so much fun, and it makes me realize just how easy it is to organize small groups with a common bond. We have fun, we are competitive, and we support each other. We all learned a lot on Sunday; hydration, nutrition, pace, effort, and most of all the mental side of competition. Organizing these kinds of things really helps a person push and learn new limits. I learned I could run a 10K. The value of a training partner, or accountability partner is underrated. I know how much Toby says I have helped him, but the byproduct is what it has done for me as well. We are growing stronger from pushing each other and it is making a difference. Since we all brag a little when we post. I completed the 22 mile bike in 1:09:35, the 10K run in 1:12:41, and completed the 1000 meter swim in 30:29:18. Oh, I learned something else, I know why they swim first. I cramped so badly during the swim I had to stop twice for several minutes to work out calf cramps. It was an amazing feeling pushing each other and finishing. I am excited about the next three weeks and assisting Toby to the finish line. I consider all of you my training partners as well and look forward to the continued updates. Keep pushing me boys. L3- Live, Learn, Lead Schmidty

2 comments:

CBacon said...

Dude....this is killer! And those are great times too....I can't wait for your first race day experience! IT's gonna be cool....I hope you're planning on the June 4th Morganfield race followed by the June 11th race!

Unknown said...

Great post, Schmidt. This is so cool. No doubt you guys are pushing more than you would if you were stuck doing this alone. And what a great bonding experience for friends.
I wish Toby the best on his race. Are all of you going to cheer him on? Where is the race?