Thursday, August 27, 2009

Road to Ironman Arizona (08/17-08/23/09)

Monday 2 hour speed interval bike workout (morning); 2450 yard swim (afternoon)- Swam in our community pool. My rec center pool is closed 8/18 until Sept. 1 for maintenance. This has really put a stop to my swim workouts. Of the planned 8312 yards this week, I got in only this 2450 yard set.

Tuesday Running Hill Repeats (12 x 1 minute with 2 min active recovery) with a 10 minute warm up and 10 minute cool down- This was my most brutal workout yet. I drove 15 miles at 4:30am to find hills worthy of such a workout. I went back to my old neighborhood for an 8-9% grade 3 minute climb. After about 4 repeats, I was already gasping for air. Those last 8 were nothing but torture, but I pushed through and actually took the last set for an extra 30 seconds.

Wednesday Bike/Run brick (1:30 bike followed immediately by a 30 minute run)- Brick workouts are considered a key workout to triathlon success. I can tell how much easier I transition from bike to run after three months of brick workouts. As a matter of fact, I feel so good coming off the bike, I really need to be careful not to take off too fast.

Thursday 1:30 hours Steady State Bike (1:10 hours at high aerobic intensity)- These workouts are meant to increase your LT and thus your endurance. I find that after a few weeks of these workouts, I can push the same gear at a higher cadence and at a lower heart rate. Getting the same power/speed at a lower energy cost is what training is all about. It’s motivating to see the training is working.

Friday 4:15 hours bike ride on the trainer- I had to watch the kids so was forced to do my long bike ride on the indoor trainer in the garage. I put in my Ironman Wisconsin Coach Troy video and took off. It was a killer. I end up pushing a bigger gear on my trainer rides than I would on an outdoor ride. It was a great workout, but my legs were spent. I paid for it on my long run (see Saturday report).

Saturday 2:10 hours long run- I did this long run on the Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail. Nothing like being with a few hundred other Austinites riding their bikes and running. Very motivating. That said, and even using a 10 min run/1 min walk regimen, I was wasted after this workout. I actually had to ask Jennifer and the kids to give me 30 minutes rest time after breakfast. I lay in the hotel room bed for about 30 minutes after a massive breakfast buffet and I was “good to go” for the rest of the day. We had a wonderful rest of the weekend celebrating my 40th birthday.

Sunday 40th Birthday! Rest and Relaxation

How can I complain about being 40 when I’m in the best shape of my life. Not only am I more aerobically fit than I’ve ever been, I had to to buy two new suits for work because my waist is two sizes smaller than it’s been since high school. I’ve been pulling my pants together by using the last loop on all my belts.

Jennifer and the kids planned a weekend full of activities and two nights in the Hyatt Regency on Lake Austin, where we had a balcony room on the 16th floor overlooking Lake Austin. It was nothing but magical. My daughter would tell everyone we saw, “It’s my dad’s birthday.” I haven’t had so many strangers offer me birthday wishes in my life.

I’ll be thinking about this weekend a lot during the low moments at IMAZ. I know the memories will  help pull me through.

Kia Kaha!

No comments: