Sunday, August 30, 2009

Road to Ironman Arizona (8/24-8/30/09)

Monday 1:15 hours bike speed interval workout- I was supposed to do a swim workout as well, but my rec center has been closed since 8/18 for maintenance. The schedule says it will open again on 9/1. I plan to join the UT rec center this week for the remaining of the semester. This way, I’ll just keep my swim bag in the car and be prepared to get a swim in whenever my schedule allows before and after work and during lunch. This also gives me more pool access during the week.

Tuesday Running hill repeats (6x1 min)- Drove from my house at 5am to the La Frontera area. We used this same hill during my marathon training a couple of years ago. After doing 12x1 min hill repeats the week prior, 6x1 min sure was nice. Hill repeats must be one of the devil’s favorite workouts.

Wednesday 1:15 hours foundation bike (morning) and 40 minute foundation run on the treadmill (afternoon). I used the 10min run/1 min walk method on the run. This allowed me to push the pace a little more while staying in a moderate heart rate.

Thursday 1 hour foundation bike. I was again supposed to do a swim workout but once again had no pool access. I knew I was going to make up for some of this on Saturday (see Saturday report), but I still hate missing more than one workout per week in any discipline. Lack of consistency is a killer in training, especially when dealing with the “feel” of the swim.

Friday 20 minute recovery bike. This was so nice…and strange. I’ve not had a “workout” this easy and short since beginning this training regimen. I was able to sleep in a few extra minutes.

Saturday Participated in the inaugural CapTex Open Water Swim 1.2 mile race. The event offered a 1500 meter swim, a 750 meter swim, and a 1.2 mile (1931.21 meters) swim and you could sign up for one, two, or all three. I chose to only do the 1.2 mile swim and do it at IM race pace. I finished in 44 minutes (went to the website for the “official” time, but nothing is listed yet), four minutes below my 40 min goal pace. This was a good result for me. I was able to push the pace and not feel wiped out as in so many past swim efforts. After rounding the half-way buoy, I began to kick more forcefully to pick up the pace. In the end what I discovered is that I’m not getting that much faster, but I have become more efficient and fit in the swim. I also realized again the importance of knowing the course and having sightlines to keep you on track. I could have picked up another minute or two with better direction. The course had a pretty good left dogleg turn and I didn’t take the best line on the way out. Coming back, I was able to stay on the buoy line much better.

My program had me doing a spring triathlon yesterday, but without one in the area, I took my only choice and put in another 1200 meters than what the training planned.

Sunday Rest Day

This was a great recovery week. After the past few weeks of 16 hours training blocks, this week’s 6 hours was a welcomed treat. Tomorrow we go back to another 16 + hour training block and I’m ready for it. I’ll be traveling on Thursday from 6am-8pm, so that will be my “rest” day for the week. I’ll pick it back up on Friday and end the week with a long ride on Saturday and long run on Sunday.

Two weeks until the Prairie Man half IM and 2.5 months to go until IMAZ! That means another 6 weeks of hard training before beginning a taper going into the IMAZ. It will be here before we know it.

Kia Kaha!

No comments: