Monday, August 10, 2009

Road to Ironman Arizona (8/03-8/09/09)

Monday 1:50 hour bike speed intervals (8x90); 2750 yards swim (6x200 and 7x50 intervals)

Tuesday 44 minutes running hill repeats (8x1 min). Had to do it in the afternoon heat (over 100 degree heat index)

Wednesday 1:35 hour bike/run brick (1:15 bike; 20 min run) @ high aerobic intensity

Thursday 1:15 hour steady state bike (55 min in high aerobic intensity)

Friday Rest Day

Saturday 4 hour long bike ride

Sunday 2:10 hour long run; 3100 meter long swim

Had a good strong start to the build phase of my training. As you can see, the intensity went into the high aerobic range on a couple of workouts and I had a speed workout in every discipline (counting hill repeats for the run). I was able to get all my workouts in except for a 35 min recovery run and my Thursday swim session. Of the scheduled 15 hours, I completed 13:32 hours.

The hill repeats on Tuesday were a killer. I could taste blood afterwards from the burst capillaries in my lungs. The heat and sun were brutal but it made it that much more satisfying knowing I did it. I can tell you that after about the 3rd repeat of 8, my mind was telling me to quit. I didn’t!

Going into the high aerobic range was a significant change. It’s amazing what a change it is holding a steady state at a few more heart beats per minute. I found that once I got into rhythm, I was able to hold it without thinking too much about how much more difficult it was or how much more I was sweating.

The long bike ride went very well. There was a headwind all the way back, but it only added to the satisfaction of finishing just as I’d planned. The guy who raced me for a few minutes up and down the two biggest hills really helped. I pushed a little harder than I would have otherwise and made up the time the wind would have taken from me. And, yes, I left him in the dust after the second hill. Felt good!

I decided to try the run/walk method for my long run. I did a 10 minutes run/1 minute walk until the last mile where I did 8 minutes run/1 minute walk. I found that kept my heart rate within zone a lot longer and allowed me to take in the water and nutrition better. Sweating is a real issue for me. I can lose well over 4 pounds on a long run and it’s difficult for me to carry enough water and nutrition on my race belt for a 2 + hour effort. It’s probably not bad for training purposes, as I know I’ll have greater access to both on race day. I just need to make sure that if it’s a hot day (as they are everyday here), I am taking in some water/sports drink every 10 minutes or less.

All in all it was a great week and I’m really happy with my effort and the results. I’m feeling confident and motivated given my results and my stats. I’m in the best shape of my three year endurance career and looking forward to what is still ahead.

I have work travel to Tampa on Friday for the weekend, so I hope that doesn’t get in the way to badly. I wish all of you a wonderful and safe week of training, work, and life. Look forward to hearing from all of you.

Kia Kaha!

1 comment:

Schmidty said...

Nice work Karl. I am figuring out this blog stuff so give me a week and I will load my training. I am a big sweater as well. When I can, I get the family involved and have them make support checks for me. Having your son, wife or significant other hand you a drink and a gel is helpful and mentally encouraging. On those long workout days it makes them feel like they have contributed to the team. Mentally it gives me something to focus on and forget about the suffering. A hand off from a family member who encourages you can lift the spirits and drive you on.