Monday, May 24, 2010

Schmidt Weekly

Sunday May 16-22.

Glad to see the TTT boys are blogging again. I needed to get refocused and it helps to see the email notifications. Training has been going well, spring doctoral course work is finished up for a little while, and Lindsey completed graduation last week. So life is just a bit more relaxed. Racing update below.

Sunday: Crossfit. Run:3 miles
Monday: Swim. Bike- TM:1:27:56, DST:24.75, AVG:16.9
Tuesday: Crossfit.
Wednesday: Bike- TM:2:12:44, DST:32.98, AVG:14.9
Thursday: Run:3.1 miles
Friday: Bike- TM:1:35:36, DST:24.88, AVG:15.6
Saturday: Bike- TM:35:21

Race Report:
I attempted my first double with a criterium race on Saturday, followed by a road race on Sunday. The criterium was a flat, four corner high speed nascar like course that was only 1/2 mile in length and would be run for 3o minutes. I only made it 3/4 of a lap and sliced the side wall of my rear tire in the fourth corner on a brick paved section of the course. Yes, my frustration was very high. I packed up the truck and headed to my dad's hose and did a 30+ minute effort to simulate the race I should have done.

Next morning I was in Shelby, KY for the road race. 30 miles (3 laps) in the category 4/5 event. It was a tough fast race, there were 63 men in the filed, and I stayed with the lead group of riders for a shot time after the first lap. The pace was intense and I had to back off and found the second chase group to work with. There were six of us and we worked pretty well together, two guys in the group did very little work but they had a teammate in the break so I could understand. On the third lap there were some small attacks out of our group and we shed 3 guys. With a mile to go I was gassed and there was a really good sprinter with us. The cat and mouse games started with about 6/10 of a mile to go and the two guys lined up behind me getting ready for the sprint finish. I knew I had a chance in the sprint against one of the guys but not both. So I put in a huge attack with 4/10 of a mile to go and just sprinted as if the finish line was just 100 yards up the road. I caught both guys off guard and each popped under the attack. It was nice to create that separation and see both of them concede.

Time: 1:27:10, Distance: 30.8, Average: 20.9. 36 out of 63(unofficial) for CAT 4/5. I will be interested to see how I finished in my CAT 5 category. I was very stoked with my effort, race preparation and strategy. I simply need to start racing more often. I'm another year away from that but it is still fun once in a while. Drove home and made it to Cole's game, he played great despite the loss. Somehow I let my buddies talk me in to doing a group ride and ended up doing another 40 miles that afternoon (70.8) miles on the day including racing.

Final note: Becca may have blown her knee out. We get the MRI results back today, so please keep her in your thoughts.

L3 - Live, Learn, and Lead
Schmidty

No comments: