Monday, March 14, 2011

Racing for fun

I have not had a weekend away from class in 6 weeks, and since my injury in the gym my workouts and especially my cycling has been pretty minimal. Lots of swimming and physical therapy. This past week I started back on the spin bike and actually snuck out for a chill ride to test out the leg. It works great on the bike, its the weight bearing stuff that is so uncomfortable.

All that being said, I couldn't stand not getting to be competitive, so I drove up to Louisville on Saturday and raced in the first spring series race. I guess I needed something to get me out of this funk of not being able to follow my normal routine, to see where my fitness actually is, and to see if this leg is getting better.

Race was fast as usual. 1.7 mile circuit at Long Run Park, in 31 minutes I covered 10.8 miles for an average of 20.4 mph. Finished 32nd out of 47 with the lead group 30 seconds in front. I felt good, pushed as hard as I could and definitely could feel the weeks missed off the bike and in the gym. At the end of the day I was pretty happy, hopefully I am turning the corner from this injury. Cole was my pit crew, and my dad made it out to the race as well. Always awesome to have family around cheering you on. Fun day!!

Stay well brother.

L3-Live, Learn, and Lead
Schmidty

2 comments:

Ruben (ruben@triumphtriathlon.com) said...

Hi Schmidty!

Nice blog you have here. FYI, I created a community of triathlete bloggers online called TriumphTriathlon.com. It's still in BETA phase right now but I'm trying to grow the community. You could also win free entry into the 140.6 of your choice! Please check out. Thanks for your help and keep up the good work on your blog!

Make it a great day,
Ruben

CBacon said...

Dog....being back in the game is all that matters.....my latest motto...adapt and overcome....it's what you;re doing...being smart on your injury is key and you;ve got that covered...in fact, you'll grow from it as you tune in your body...your rubber band is stretched...keep your focus on the prize you seek and the races will be a plenty in the future...your classwork is nearly completed....you're the man for managing all of it, a family, job, training, etc... While I am the unofficial Doctor of Love....you'll soon earn the official title in education....