Monday, March 28, 2011

Racing?????

Had another weekend off from school so at the last minute I registered for not one but two back to back criteriums in Lexington last Sunday. It seems that multiple crits is what everyone does, and since I drove up I thought I would torture myself. Fast, fast, fast was the name of the game. This event is like racing at Bristol Motor Speedway, it may as well be on an oval with a hill. My primary event the CAT 5, I hung on most of the race, but got separated from the field with three to go. I maintained a high pace and finished 32/47 with the main filed in site. The second race the Cat4/5 started just 45 minutes later. Needless to say I got absolutely hammered. To say I finished at the back is an understatement. But, I had a blast. I averaged over 20mph for consecutive 30+ minute races. I am just having fun, school is more important at this moment then racing. The racing is just an outlet. I was excited to do it. Rebecca my wife suggested that a few of us go up and do this weekends Shelbyville tri. It was a great idea, except when it turned cold we deiced to save the money/gas/entry fee and designed our own. So yesterday five of us, two women and three men designed a 13.4 mile bike (outside), 5K run (outside), and finished with a 500 meter swim in the HWC center (had to do the swim last because of the pool hours and daylight). It was a blast, the guys I train with are all fast runners so we just got after it. If I had any chance of creating a little gap I had to blister the bike. Finished - Bike43:12. T1:59:14. Run:31:16. T2:4:39. Swim: 11:45. Total: 1:31 We all had the best time, it was so much fun. Props to my wife for setting it all up and competing. Another great week ahead! L3-Live, Learn, and Lead Schmidty

2 comments:

DinoBravo said...

nice post... like the create your own event... all the benefits without all the logistics and money spent... who needs that crappy T-shirt anyway?

Unknown said...

Awesome that you did the crit anyway. Having a podium finish is nice but being in the race is what it's all about. As in life, we aren't always ready for what life brings. Knowing we did our best is what's important. Love the "homemade" tri. Nicely done!