Sunday, March 6, 2011

Round Rock Project Graduation 5K and Weekly Update

 

Monday  Rest Day

Tuesday 55 min Bike Short Hill Climbs (6x1min) on Trainer

Wednesday 40 min run

Thursday 50 min Bike Power Intervals (5x20 seconds)

Friday Rest day to give legs a break before tomorrow’s 5k

Saturday Round Rock Project Graduation 5K: I pulled off a top 10 (7th place) in my age group with a decent 7:46/mile pace. The guy in 6th place is a friend from my marathon training group 4 years ago. The top 3 were all under 7/mile pace (#1 was under 6/mile!). One thing about this area, we always have a strong field.

The race was epic! After a week of 70 degree temps, a cold front blew through on Friday night and Saturday morning. We had temps in the low 40s at race time with wind gusts averaging in the 30s. Wind chill was 36 degrees…and then it started raining. By the time I crossed the finish line, we’d had lightning, thunder, AND pea-sized hail. And I was wearing a short sleeve tech shirt and shorts. That will teach me to check the weather BEFORE I leave the house next time.

It was another tough week at work. I won’t go into the specifics here, but suffice it to say that my head was not in the race. That said, once the gun went off and the rain began to fall, I had to smile. It reminded me that life is not always bright sunshine and cloudless skies. There are cloudy days and stormy nights. It is the dark times that make the beautiful ones even more special. And as the rain beat down and the thunder roared, I gave God thanks for giving me the health and the opportunity to be right where I was.

Life is good!

Kia Kaha!

1 comment:

DinoBravo said...

good post... life is good!