Sunday, May 10, 2009

Road to Ironman Arizona (5/04-5/10/09)

Happy Mother’s Day!

Monday Strength and Balance Workout

Tuesday 45 minute constant swim; 2100 yards

Wednesday 45 minute run in Z1-2; 4.36 miles

Thursday Off

Friday Rest

Saturday Rode the Armadillo Hill Country Ride; 107.89 miles; 6:08:29 hours; 17:56 mph avg. speed; 92 RPM avg. cadence; 39.11 max. speed

This was a rest week, so it was a perfect opportunity to simulate a taper prior to yesterday’s bike ride.

I used the ride as a race simulation. My nutrition plan went great for the first three hours, but after that it fell apart. One problem which is now evident is that I can’t carry enough fluid for a 6-hour ride with my current aero bottle and two bottle cages. This caused me to make two unplanned rest stops in order to refuel. May need to look into purchasing some seat post bottle cages or a larger aero bottle. The good news is that the nutrition I used did not cause me GI distress. I may have found a combination that works for me. The first four hours were great. I felt like I was out for a scenic easy ride even though I was pushing nearly 19 mph avg. for those hours. The last two hours were brutal. The wind picked up, the hills seemed to all be in the last 40 miles, the sun came out (I have a nice sunburn today) and my nutrition plan failure was not keeping me as strong as before. I fought back to maintain a decent average speed but the cost in energy expenditure would have been too great for the Ironman. I would have had little left for the marathon.

All in all, it was a hugely successful day. I proved I can keep a nearly 18 mph average for over 100 miles and did so on a much hillier course than the IM Arizona course. With another 5.5 months of training to go, this gives me a lot of confidence and a great base to build on. I had very little soreness yesterday or today. As a matter of fact, the most sore body parts are my neck and shoulders. Holding the aero position for 6 hours is tough on the shoulder blades and neck. My legs feel great.

I wore my Lindsey Wilson College Cycling gear and as I passed a guy on a hill, he yelled, “Where in the hell is Lindsey Wilson College?” I answered back, with attitude and pride, “Columbia, KY!” I never saw him again, so I’m guessing he has a greater respect for LWC this morning.

Countdown continues: 15 days to my first triathlon of the year, the CapTex Triathlon. Looking forward to finally putting this training to a true test under race conditions. Last year’s race was so hot, several people left the race and some did so by ambulance. The temperatures have been in the 90’s all week and are forecast in the 90’s for the upcoming week. I’m guessing spring is gone and summer temps are here to stay. Oh, well, that’s triathlon season in TX!

Kia Kaha!

No comments: