Sunday, July 5, 2009

Road to Ironman Arizona (6/29-7/05/09)

Monday Bike Intervals 1:20 (8x20 sec sprints)

Tuesday 1150 yard swim workout with Claude (@baconky). 7x100 w/ 5 sec rest

Wednesday 1 hour bike (morning); 35 minute run (afternoon). Ran while Tristan rode his bike. It was a GREAT run and a fun time.

Thursday 1 hour bike

Friday 1:35 bike/run brick (1:15 hour bike and 20 minute run)

Saturday 55 minute run

Sunday Rest Day

This was the fourth (rest) week of the 8-week base in this training program. I really felt tired this week. I think it comes from a combination of a lack of sleep and a need for vacation (and probably the weeks of 100 degree weather we’ve had). I have one planned for the last week of this month and it will not come soon enough. I did take Friday off this week b/c my children’s summer care was closed. It was nice to sleep in late (6:30 am).

Work (a trip to Dallas on Thursday) and my pool’s schedule (they were closed on July 4th) caused me to miss two of my swim workouts. The swim workout I did have, I did with Claude while he was in town for business. Despite not having his own swim gear, he did more than hold his own in our workout. I was really proud to see how far he’s come along.

I signed up for my next race (the Prairie Man half Ironman in September) this past week and it’s nice to have something else on the calendar to work toward. I have to admit to waning motivation this past week. Having been through several training plans over my three year triathlon “career”, I understand “valleys” are part of every training plan and every race. You have to take the up’s with the down’s. It’s a metaphor for life itself.

Enjoyed celebrating our country’s birthday yesterday. I give thanks to have been born with U.S. citizenship. I know I won the world lottery through that privilege.

Enjoy Wimbledon today and the Tour de France all week. I’ll be cheering for our Austin, Texas, and U.S. champions, Andy Roddick and Lance Armstrong, respectively.

Have a great week! Kia Kaha!

No comments: