Sunday, February 15, 2009

Weekly Review (Feb. 15)- Karl

Monday Rest
Tuesday 1 hour big gear bike trainer session
Wednesday 45 minute, 5.4 mile run
Thursday 1 hour big gear bike trainer session
Friday 45 minute, 5.5 mile run
Saturday 1:15 high cadence bike trainer session
Sunday 1:05 hours, 7.82 mile run

Had a good week. Feeling strong and recovering really nicely from the additional bike and running miles. Starting runs nice and easy and still keeping a decent overall pace. Can feel the bike sessions strengthening my legs on both the bike and run.

Got lazy with my balance and strength sessions this week. Had some long work days this past week and just wanted to veg when I got home.

Finally received my copy of the 2nd edition of "Going Long", the Ironman distance training book by Joe Friel (Twitter follower) and Gordon Byrn (Facebook "friend"). Mark told me great things about it and it's well known as THE book on long distance triathlon training.

I emailed the Training Bible Coaching group for their advice on how I should plan my training and racing schedule in order to peak for the IMAZ 09. I received a reply that they will get back to me this week. I'm scheduled for the CapTex Tri Olympic distance race on May 25, so time is drawing nigh to begin full-fledged triathlon training. I look forward to receiving their advice and beginning to seriously plan my year with Arizona as the main target.

A couple of things I learned this week: 1. Biking strengthens the run but running does not strengthen biking. 2. Know your resting heart rate. Take your heart rate before training and if it's elevated, do not train that day. An elevated heart rate is the first sign of illness and/or fatigue. It's your body's way of telling you to rest.

Are we in for the GABRAKY bike ride? Jeremy? Ashley? We need to hear from you.

Kia Kaha!

No comments: