Sunday, March 7, 2010

Anabolic v. Catabolic

If you are an endurance athlete, you need to know the difference between catabolic and anabolic processes. These are the states you are in either during workouts or rest. Please do some research to learn more (there are some great articles and podcasts available on these processes), but in very simple terms, catabolic is the process of tearing down muscle tissue while anabolic is the process of building/creating muscle tissue. It is critical that your body get the right amount of each process during your training cycles in order for you to increase your endurance and speed and garner your best performance on race day.

One thing we often forget is that stress causes us to be in a catabolic state. If you are under stress because of work, family, or other life issues, you need to find ways to create an anabolic state. Just because you may not be working or training “hard”, you may still be in a catabolic state much of the day. Listen to your body, evaluate your environment, and find a way to rest and/or relax.

PS I encourage you to research catabolic dieting. Interesting concept.

Monday Off*

Tuesday Off*

* My family and work schedules made it difficult to get my workouts in. Could I have given up sleep to get them in? Yes. Did I choose to? No.

Wednesday 30 minute cycle trainer session

Thursday 30 minute run

Friday  Rest Day

Saturday 45 minute run (negative split- I’ve been doing all my runs on negative splits. I run to a point that equals 50% of the total run plus one minute and try to get back to my starting point by goal time. For example: 45 minute total run: I run to 28:30 (50%+1 minute) and get back to the starting point in 45 minutes.)

Sunday 45 minute cycle trainer session (hard, constant effort)

This was a scheduled rest week. Next week returns to a build week.

No comments: