Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blog Post: When You Are Feeling Sorry For Yourself, Just Look Around

I had one of those days today. Sundays make me feel this way more than not and when they come at the end of an extended weekend with family, it only exacerbates it. I was feeling a bit, as the poets would call it, melancholy. Having spent a wonderful four full days with my wife and kids, the thought of getting back into our weekly routine tomorrow was making me a little depressed. After going to the movies with the family, I decided to go for a run in hopes that the endorphins would help me through the rest of the evening.
Sure enough, it wasn't long into my 1.5 hour run that the mix of the warm sun with the strong cool wind had me in better spirits. As I ran, I reminded myself of the many blessings I have, not the least of which is the good health that enables me to be out there for the run. As I neared the end of my run, I looked ahead of me on the trail and noticed the unique running motion of the runner several yards away. It wasn't until I got closer that I noticed the reason for his distinctive motion. The runner was a double arm and double leg amputee. He was running with prostethes, thus his side to side hopping stride. Call it a divine/Godly message or just coincidence, it was a reminder that when we start feeling sorry for ourselves, sometimes all we have to do is look around to get our life back in perspective and ourselves in a positive frame of mind. If only that man knew how he inspired me.
Here is my base training schedule for this past week:
Monday: Strength and Balance Workout
Tuesday: 45 minute speed run
Wednesday: Strength and Balance Workout
Thursday: 30 minute easy run
Friday: 1 hour bike ride
Saturday: Thunderstorms canceled my scheduled 44 mile Spurs and Spokes Ride
Sunday: 1:15 hour run

Posted via email from Karl Miller's Posterous

1 comment:

CBacon said...

Well said young blood...we are, in fact, always learning...