Sunday, March 14, 2010

Frustration and Disappointment

Schmidty Weekly

March 7-14



Sun: Bike - Time: 1:47:09, Dist: 29:52, Avg: 16.5

Mon: Bike - Time: 1:04:40, Dist: 18.22, Avg: 16.9

Tue: Crossfit - 20lb Wall ball, Box jump, Push ups, Sit ups 25 reps/3rnds: Time 20:06

Wed: Bike - Time: 1:26:17, Dist: 21.9, Avg: 15.2

Thur: Nothing

Fri: Nothing

Saturday: Nothing


I have been feeling so good about my strength and fitness but then life smacked me in the face and I got a huge dose of frustration and disappointment. This Saturday was going to kick off my race season, and I had committed to doing the entire KY/IN race series. Things took a huge turn when I went home early from work around 2:30 on Thursday. I had cold chills and felt achy, so I jumped in bed and tried to sleep it off. I never got back up out of bed. I never call in sick, and Friday morning I could hardly get out of bed. My fever, achiness, and chest cough had me down. I told myself if I felt remotely better on Saturday I was still going to drive up to the race. I dumped all the fluids and vitamin C I could get in my body, but I was toast. I don't think I slept one solid hour Friday night. I shipped my family out of town for the weekend to avoid my illness. I never left the couch, and sometime around 7:30 pm my fever finally broke and I actually started feeling better. By Sunday I was feeling much better, my chest and cough still hurt but I am definitely better.

My frustration and disappointment is mostly because I was psyched up for the first race of the year and I feel like I had a productive winter with training. I was ready to see how I measured up with other guys I know from the previous seasons races. I also know that this illness will have an effect on training this week and now makes me wonder if I should do next weeks crit. That decision depends on where my respiratory system is in the next few days. I have no immediate cardio exercise plans until my chest and breathing is right. It's all part of training, and living with frustration and disappointment is part of it. It's a long year and there are lots of events and racing ahead.

Stay healthy brothers.

L3- Live, Learn, and Lead

Schmidty

2 comments:

CBacon said...

You're now an official member of the club as I think all regular posters have written publicly about their failures and disappointments. You knew this day would come and now it's behind you, so your body took so a break from the pounding and funny how we come back stronger...stay strong big boy

Unknown said...

Your last few sentences say it all. There are plenty more races but only one you. Take care, be patient, let it go. You live to race another day.
Of course, it's not my money you are spending on entry fees. Ha!
Just stay healthy so you can be here for the Shiner ride.