Saturday, April 24, 2010

Personal Worst = Personal Best

I've determined that sometimes a personal worst may be equivilant to a personal best. Here's the rundown of my 2010 Kentucky Derby Mini (13.1) marathon:

Overall time: 1:45:59

Overall place: 732 of 10,715... 15,000 people paid to enter (appx: 1,500 marathoners) the rest were no shows. 732/10,715 is roughly in the top 7% of the field... Represented quite well.

Gender place: 604 out of 4,633 males

Division place: 40-44 year olds: 95 out of 647

This time happens to be my personal worst ever for this distance. However, I'm calling it a personal best for the following reasons:

November: Surgery on left knee-torn meniscus
January: Started back to school (JCTC)
Feb-present: Recovering economy = more overtime at work (60 plus hours per week)
Jan-present: House shopping, purchase and will close (next Tuesday) packing, etc...

Carried an extra 9 pounds during the race due to knee surgery

Still trying my best to raise 5 kids.... everything from, basketball, archery, cheerleading, senior rings, proms, graduation, and now baseball.

So you see my friends, I've had a few 20-22 hour days as a part of my training for this event. This truly represents the motto of "To better the I Am!" As a matter of fact some of my 5-6 mile training runs was all that kept my sanity.

Quite proud of the Baconater.... Walked to the starting line with him and saw his panic with his heart rate monitor and his noticable nervousness..... Beautiful... Nervous, yet poised and ready to go. Also, as Melanie and I was walking back to the hotel, we crossed the 2d street bridge and I satated that it would be coool to see claude coming across the bridge.... And there he was.... Looked damn good coming across at mile 23. Looked much better than I did last year at that same spot. He paced himself well and was still going strong given the elements. Awesome job claude.

Melanie finished her first ever 13.1 distance. She posted a 3:09.... Said she will do it again next year. A new member of team topper tri.... dont expect any post, however she is out there givin it hell.

Final tidbet of info: "Is it wrong to consume a Carboom gel pack while sitting in a port-a-pot dropping a duece?" Give me a little feedback on this one. I felt a little dirty, but time was getting away from me....

with love,

Dino Bravo
dennis r. bishop

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One man's personal worst is another man's dream. Even with all you have going on and all you've been through this year, this beats my personal best by 5 minutes. You are da man, Dino! Just like Tiger Woods, even on your worst day you are still better than most.
Real proud of you, brother. Love the attitude you have toward your performance and like to see that family and going after new dreams are your priorities. You are definitely bettering the I am!
I've seen Melanie as a follower of the blog for some time and we are honored to have our first female member. Real proud of her race, too, and happy to see the Bishop duo racing together.
Now, as for the Carboom sitting on a port-a-pot, that is just ten kinds of WRONG!!!
Way to give it hell, Dino!

BigDaddy said...

Once again proving why your my fitness guru. Dino Bravo = Team Topper Dali Lama.