Monday, May 30, 2011

CapTex Triathlon Report

The race went much as I expected. Actually, it went exactly as I'd expected had I not miscalculated when I wrote yesterday's report. I wrote that I hoped for a 2:45 finishing time but my actual last CapTex time was 2:48 in 2009. What I actually figured I could do was a 3 hour finishing time and I ended up with a 3:02.
The swim went as expected. I swam 3 times in preparation for the race so I had no expectations for a great swim. According to the race timing, I had a 35 minute swim (1500 meters), although my watch said I had a 32 minute swim.
The bike was outstanding. I averaged 19.2 mph over the 24.8 mile course in 20 mph wind gusts. I rode the big ring for the entire course and felt really strong.
The run was tough from the beginning. I got off the bike and made it through transition in a little over 2 minutes. As I got on the run course, my stomach began to cramp. The pain was stuck under both ribs and I had to walk in order to make it subside. This got me started on a run-walk for most of the race. Just as I began the second 3.1 mile loop, my right hamstring began cramping. My leg just stiffened up and I limped for several yards until it went away. I began running again, only to have it cramp again another mile later. Despite all that, I averaged just over 10min/mile pace. The positive is that during the times I was able to run, my pace had to be in the 8min/mile range in order for me to keep an overall 10min/mile average. Makes you think "what could have been." That's the hard part of endurance racing. You can't always have your best day despite what you try.
I finished strong and enjoyed a nice coconut milk for electrolytes and a Muscle Milk for the protein before driving home.
Once home, we went to a friend's home for a cookout of burgers, hot dogs, and margaritas. Several of us there did the race and we commiserated. One of the guys in our group came in first in the military sprint race and one of the girls in our group came in third in the 35-39 age group of the Olympic race. They make it look so easy. It's inspiring to be around gifted athletes even if you know you'll never be in their category. We all have our race to run and success is relative to that...in triathlon as in life.
I plan to take the week off from training and look forward to Saturday's 70-mile ATLAS Ride. After that, I'll regroup and see what's next for the summer ahead.
Have a super week! Kia Kaha!

1 comment:

Schmidty said...

Proud of you brother considering the heat. I never doubted you would finish like a champion. The best part about racing and training is talking about it after you are done. Sounds like you had a chance to enjoy the competition and reflect on the what if scenarios? Always the best part.