Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ky Derby Mini Marathon 2011

Well another derby marathon down... have participated for the last 4 years and is a very special run for me... One that I hope I can continue for long into the future. However, I realized a great lesson on this run... Don't expect to knock the lights out without the preparations... I toed the line at 200 pounds (a gain of 12-15 since last Thanksgiving)... Did not do core work nor did I pound out speed sessions or long distances or hills... Basically did alot of wasted 4-8 milers in preparation... Also drank many burbon slushies and Captain Gingers and Leinenkugal beers... The nutrition consisted of a whole lot of crap... I totally winged the whole thing for whatever reason... With this said, I guess I did ok... My chip time was 1:49:17 and I had to take about a 2:20 port a pot visit... over hydrated... imagine that, couldn't even control the water intake... Oh well, I still enjoyed the race for the most part... Ran with some old friends from Breckinridge... 2 of which I use to smoke and they beat me this year. I averaged about an 8:10 pace, but it was an agonizing pace... very sore today... but learned the lesson... If you sign up for an event, you really need to log in the miles and do all the preparations to have a successful race...

2 comments:

CBacon said...

Good thoughts in here and they should help us all....for the matter of finishing the race despite your comments...you are to be commended! So great job! Stay strong!

Unknown said...

I agree with Claude. Appreciate your courage in sharing your lessons learned. The great thing is you still finished in a very respectable time. Most people would kill to finish...much less at that pace. You had fun, you toed the line, and you finished. Great race! Now go drink a bourbon slushie!!