Monday, May 30, 2011

Crash

I'm not big fan of any kind of injury, but when you crash and get hurt its even more frustrating. I have been struggling with a nerve problem in my left calf, I have been relegated to swimming and biking only. No running and no lifting that requires my lower body. So while out on a training ride, I was conducting a little sprint interval when suddenly my left crank arm snapped off and I foot planted. Next thing I know I had flipped over the bars and was bouncing along the road. Somehow I managed only a few cuts and mostly bruises, but unfortunately my bike sustained some serious damage. Besides the crank I lost both shifters and the bars. Not bad really in the big scheme of things.

The irony of all of this is that it has been a crappy spring for riding weather, and this weekend has been picture perfect and I don't have a bike. "Epic fail" as the kids say. The wonderful folks at Aerocat Bikes are fixing me up and I have an appointment on Wednesday at the factory to get everything fixed/replaced and built back up. Only a week off the bike. More importantly I want this nerve issue in my calf to go away.

Rebecca is registered and competing in a super sprint tri on June 4th, so I am pumped to be going to support her. It will be a good way to acclimate to this kind of racing. Next, the Schmidt family is headed down to Owensboro to hook up with the Bacon family for the YMCA/Owensboro Tri. Both Rebecca and I are registered for the sprint. This will be my first official tri, so I am interested to learn from the experience. I just hope Bacon doesn't crush me to awful bad.

Be well friends.

L3: Live, Learn, and Lead

Schmidty

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to know you weren't hurt too badly and that the bike is going to be repaired. Hope you are back on the road in short order.
Tell Rebecca how awesome it is to see her entering the triathlon ranks. Look forward to hearing about her super sprint and about both your races with the Bacon family. Bacon might get you on the swim but you'll get him back on the bike. Then it will be whether or not he can catch you on the run. Should be an epic battle. :-)