Sunday, May 1, 2011

Is the Margarona a Proper Recovery Drink?


This week was a recovery week and I took the opportunity to get plenty of rest and begin feeling better physically after being sick last weekend. This was also the beginning of the final 5-week PEAK phase of my Olympic distance triathlon training program.

Monday Rest Day

Tuesday 1 hour Tempo Bike with 2x12 minutes at threshold intensity; still not feeling my normal self physically

Wednesday 36 minute Tempo Run with 16 minutes at threshold intensity; still not feeling my best but I ran the threshold pace at fast pace (for me); built my confidence knowing I could hold that intensity on the treadmill while not at my best

Thursday Early morning meeting made morning workout not possible. Took an extra rest day

Friday No workout again today. More rest in preparation for tomorrow's 50-mile bike ride.

Saturday 50-mile bike ride with Bicycle Sport Shop group. Rode the Specialized and stayed in the big chain for 47 miles. Felt really strong. The rest of the previous week did me good. This was my first long ride since the 77-miler two weeks prior. Unofficially, I snatched most of the King of the Hill points for the day. I was pushing a bigger gear than normal up most of the climbs and it was fun passing some good riders on the uphills. My strength on the bike has come a long way since beginning training in March. One of the guys in our group did his first 50-mile ride so to celebrate, our group had lunch together at Morelia Mexican Grill. In the mood for both a margarita AND a beer, we were introduced to the Margarona, one of their large frozen margaritas with a small Corona beer thrown in. If there is any question as to how strong that combination is, they only allow you to drink one per visit. Added to my shrimp taco plate, it was a great way to celebrate a great ride with good friends.

Sunday I'll probably take the day off today. I may get a swim in later but my exercise today will be helping to clean the house. I used the morning to register for some upcoming rides:the Armadillo 105 mile ride on May 14 and the Atlas ride in June (a 70 mile ride with members of the Texas 4000 team...riders spending the next three months riding from Texas to Alaska fundraising for Livestrong against cancer). This will ensure I stay motivated and focused going into and coming out of the CapTex Triathlon.

Training will pick back up this week. I may do 50 miles of the Shiner Ride next week to support a friend who wants to do it as his first 50-mile ride. Other than that, this upcoming week is the final week of classes for our college students and I've already made brunch reservations for next Sunday's Mother's Day. (Just a friendly reminder for the rest of you dads out there). I also want to announce that I've been named Social Media coordinator by the USAT South Midwest Region. I will administer their Facebook page and their Twitter account. I'd be honored to have each of you "LIKE" the Facebook page and "FOLLOW" the Twitter account. This is a volunteer position as part of the region's communication committee.

Make it a great week! Kia Kaha!

3 comments:

Schmidty said...

That picture just about says it all.
Sounds like I need to step up my game on the bike now that you are pushing the big ring and taking the sprint and KOM points on group rides. GABRAKY look out...

Nice work brother!

DinoBravo said...

I think those margaronas are a whole lot like my burbon slushies...

CBacon said...

Dude, this cycling regimen is impressive! You're killing it!