Sunday, March 29, 2009

Weekly Review- Karl (3/23-3/29/09)

Monday Strength and Balance Workout (added more pushups)

Tuesday No workout. Work travel to Houston.

Wednesday  45 minute run with accels throughout

Thursday  45 minute swim (2000 yards straight). Addtl. 400 for warm up and cool down

Friday  Rest Day

Saturday  LBJ 100: 60.59 mile bike ride; 3:55:25, 15:44 avg. speed; 43.63 max. speed

Sunday Rest Day

This was the first “rest” week of my current IM training program. The volume went down to 7:15 hours, of which I completed 6:15:25. I can really sense my fitness building. I’m recovering with little or no soreness from some pretty heavy volume. The only time I get above heart rate Zone 3 is during accelerations during one of the weekly run sessions.

Had one built in “Rest Day” on Friday, skipped Tuesday’s workout due to work, and taking today off to give my legs a rest after yesterday’s ride. I actually feel great considering how I felt immediately after the race. The day was BRUTAL! 25-40 mph wind gusts, temps below freezing at race start, and mile and miles of climbs…some lasting for several miles. I haven’t had that much lactate burn in a long time. Must have done a good job of getting protein in me immediately after the race, because I’m not sore at all this morning. Incredible! I expected having a difficult time walking. Must admit, however, the legs feel a bit heavy.

Note: The LBJ 100 is a 100k race (62 miles). Due to a mix-up at the race, the majority of riders took a wrong turn into the finish line and only completed 60.59 miles. Didn’t hurt my feelings much. I fell off my bike into the grass at the finish line. I was DONE!

I was supposed to do my first bike/run brick session yesterday. I had thought of doing a double event weekend by adding today’s Cap 10K, Texas’ largest 10k race (over 18,000 participants). Had I known my legs would feel this good, I would have done it. Maybe next time.

Looking forward to another 3-week heavy volume cycle. One month down and two more to go with  this training program.

Look forward to getting all your updates. Even if I don’t always get a chance to comment on them, I want you to know I read all of them. I miss not hearing from all our members. Hope they’ll get back on board soon.

We all need to confirm the GABRAKY ride and start making plans. Also, please add your 2009 races to our site. I’ll put up a “2009 Events” box. If you’d rather, send me the names of your events and I’ll add them.

Kia Kaha!

No comments: