Sunday, January 24, 2010

The 1st Week Back

Monday 1 hour Strength Training Workout- push ups, pull ups, leg strength and balance exercises

Tuesday Day Off (had a scheduled swim that I did not do)

Wednesday 30 minute run with 6X30 second speed intervals on the treadmill; 15 minutes of strength and balance exercises

Thursday 30 minute bike trainer session

Friday Rest Day

Saturday 45 minute run

Sunday 1 hour bike trainer session

The first week of training in 6 weeks and all went well. I downloaded a base training program on Activetrainer.com written by Gale Bernhardt. I chose this particular program mainly because it will work up to no more than 10 hours of weekly workouts. This is a timeframe that still allows me to concentrate on my family and work responsibilities.

I have to admit I had fun working out this week. It’s great to be back at it. I was able to keep the same pace on both my run and bike workouts that I was doing prior to Ironman Arizona and realizing that I hadn’t lost much fitness was very motivating. I had very little post workout soreness and I looked forward to every workout. My only regret was not getting a swim workout in. I’ll see if I can remedy that this week.

My next goal is to sign up for my first event of the year. I have yet to decide what that will be, but I have a handful I’m considering. A year ago today I completed the 3M Half Marathon and I have to admit to being a little disappointed I wasn’t doing it again this year. I’m pleased to be “missing” racing again. I didn’t miss it for several weeks and was afraid my motivation was gone for good.

On a personal note, I’ve recommitted myself to work and family as I promised to do in this year. Jennifer and I had our first day out without the kids in a long time this week. I focused back into the fundamentals of my job and the results are coming weekly.  In the days to come, I will make a decision on starting a new blog (still deciding on the name and medium) that will look into areas outside of my triathlon passion. Stay tuned…

It’s nice having back almost 10 hours per week to give to other areas of my life. I’m going to try to use it for something other than lying on the couch and watching TV.

Kia Kaha!

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Congrats on the good week.

CBacon said...

Welcome back! Your post reads as fun as it must have been, so I know it was a good week!