Sunday, January 17, 2010

Plan the Work and Work the Plan

Well, it’s been a nice time off but it’s time to get back to work. Today I will download my new training plan from either Activetrainer.com or Traniningpeaks.com and tomorrow will begin the 2010 season. I’m not calling it a “triathlon” season because I’m not sure yet what my focus will be. I want to do more shorter running events, many with my family. I want to do more cycling events in the metric century to 100 mile range. I may get into some trail running. I may even get crazy and sign up for a long distance open water swim of 5k or greater distance. But whatever I decide to do, I need to be in the physical and mental shape to endure it, survive it, and enjoy every minute of it. That begins by finding my plan and getting to work on it.

I’m looking at some base triathlon plans so I can build all three: running, swimming, and cycling fitness. Then, regardless of what races hit my fancy, I can be ready for all kinds. I’m also making a commitment to do more strength and core work in 2010. I have my Perfect Push Ups, my chin up bar, and my core and balancing exercises and tools prepared and ready to go. This will add a whole new level of fitness, to be sure, but with some hard work, it will also add a whole new level of racing for my year to come.

This year is all about family, fun, and fitness…in that order. Last year was a very selfish year for me and I’ve promised myself and my family that this year what THEY want to do comes first and I’ll work my training and racing schedule around them. I’m also making the commitment that the races I do, I will do for fun and for me. I’m not doing races because I HAVE to do a certain distance triathlon race to meet some training requirement, for example. I’m signing up for races because they look like fun to do. I’m doing races because they provide a fun family atmosphere. I’m not doing races to meet time goals. If I have to walk the local 5k with my 6-year-old daughter, then walk it is what I’ll do. My ego is not getting in the way.

I’m eager to get back to training, albeit not so eager to wake up early to do it. It’s all about routine and habit. I just have to set the routine and get back in the habit. That said, I won’t be training as many hours per week as I was last year, so that will also make things easier to schedule. I may do a few more evening workouts this year and sleep in a little.

I want to end this week’s post by saying how really proud I am of my TeamTopperTri teammates on their plans for the year. Several of them have been training for several days and weeks. It’s fun to train vicariously through them for marathons, crits, triathlons of various distances, century rides, and more. It adds a lot to my own training and provides some great motivation. Keep it up TTT! I’m proud to be living the endurance lifestyle with you…and even more proud to call you my brothers!

Kia Kaha!

No comments: