Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bacon Weekly

Mon- Swim drills- 45 minutes
Tues- 3 miles @ 9:38 avg (24 degrees)
Wed- Nashville travel day
Thurs- 5 miles @9:38 avg (31 degrees)
Fri- 3.5 miles @ 10:15 avg (40 degrees)
Sat- Off
Sun- 7 miles @ 9:34 avg (49 degrees)


Another great week of testy runs as the temps were all over the place again, as you see a 25 degree variance between Tuesday's run and Sunday's run. Felt like a virtual heat wave today for the 7 miler as I stripped off my running pants (had shorts on underneath) at 4 miles cause I was melting. I have a prefernce for being warm during the run, but today was too much.

Had to adjust the schedule this week as life got in the way:) Thursday's five miler was orginally scheduled for Tuesday but after a down and back trip to Nashville, I was toast..decided to skip it and run it on Thursday and even the thoughts of replacing my off day, Saturday, with a 3 miler that I ended up missing this week..On friday I was having a discussion with a fellow runner at work and she followed with what she was recently told about trying to play make-up...dont't do it! I took the advice and was better off for it as I had a quality 7 miler today and not sure it would have been as great by making up the missed run...it's tough for me to do such, I'm just not built that way, but I know it's better from an injury and quality standpoint, so when life gets in the way, I must remember that it's ok to miss.

Last week in the office and then a major travel storm hits me for about a month, so I must stay focused to get my runs in while on the road..

On a final note, I witnessed one of the most tragic things this week in that during the USI vs. KWC basketball game, a young man collapsed on the USI team and later died. He was later diagnosed through an autopsy with an enlarged heart, a condition he apparently did not know he had. I watched this young guy make some great plays and this happened only a few minutes before a thunderous uncontested dunk. He ran by his bench, did a Hulkster like pose and screamed with joy. I struggled the rest of the evening and also the following morning, and still today with a few things. When he got up that morning at 21 years old, like we all do everyday, he had no idea it was his last. Also, the fact that he did not know of his condition. As most of you know, I found out about my RBBB (Right bundle branch block) through a routine stress test several years ago and was lucky that it's a condition that has little risk during heart stress. And the point here for all of you is...GET YOUR TICKER CHECKED OUT....I'm a healthy guy and had no idea my heart had a malfunction...this guy didn't either. This young man died doing what he loved the most; however a suprise. Let this be a reminder to each of us to live each day as it were your last.

Do it big yo...Bacon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I lived every day as if it were my last, I'd never go to work! :-)
In all seriousness, I'm sorry you had to experience that, but I'm pleased to see that you took away the optimistic view. Live today because none of us are promised tomorrow.