Sunday, August 8, 2010

Everything

So I get back from my France trip, and I jumped right back in to family, training, work, and life. Several cool things are going on. First, I had a great week of training. Since I have no more specific races this year, I have jumped back in to my full Crossfit workouts. OUCH is the operative word. With that said I am still committed to logging hours on the bike. There are still some century rides, possibly a couple of charity rides, and you never know what else. Plus LWC Cycling team is coming back for the fall semester and they are always ready to kick my rear so I need to stay up for the challenge.

Cole started back to school this week. Middle school; when and how did this happen? I am simply amazed. The 6th grade is a big deal, I remember the 6th grade vividly, I just cant believe my son is there. He also starts two soccer leagues so that means the mom and dad car pool, rushing from one practice to another begins again. Rebecca and I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. Also, Cole has taken up the challenge of doing some Crossfit for kids workouts. He started keeping a journal and has been really committed to his routines. I'm proud of him for putting in the effort. I caught him flexing in the mirror the other night, kind of like Bacon does.

Rebecca, is up and walking like a woman possessed. Just two months removed from her ACL surgery, she is walking 2-3 miles a night, still going to her rehab workouts, and has been riding the stationary trainer. She still hurts and is sore in the morning when she wakes up, but she is getting after it. She committed to walking the 3Day cancer walk in Atlanta for this fall and she refuses to back out. She is raising money and walking miles leading up to the event. I'll report more on this next week and perhaps my brothers could help Becca with her motivation, and some fundraising.

Finally, I had an incredible ride on Saturday, 64 miles on some of my most favorite roads in the surrounding counties. Once again I was along side my good friend and training partner Toby Young, who in his own right is a fitness bad ass. We are contemplating an Ironman in the near/distant future. I need some more convincing. But first we both need to complete a couple of current goals (Doctorate, etc.). Also joining us on this ride was a 22 year old young man by the name of Dakota Meyer. I just met Dakota, but all I can say is that he has become an instant inspiration and I want to share a few things about him.

Dakota, served multiple tours in Iraq in the 3rd Marine Division on a special team as a sniper. He is home now, and unable to serve in the same capacity due to injuries suffered during combat. Without going in to much detail, Dakota is being considered for the Medal of Honor. Yes, I said the Medal of Honor. Not many living military personnel are considered for our nations top military honor. He has already been featured in a number of articles and news stories for dragging his four teammates bodies back while under enemy fire. Knowing they were dead he was still committed to his teammates, their families and his service. When Dakota tells me the story I get chills. I am enjoying getting to know him and train with him. He is still struggling with the loss of his team, and in many ways his own identity. I hope to introduce Dakota to "our" team and help him find some peace through our healthy lifestyles. Please check out this article that is in the Courier Journal today for more details of his story.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2010308080080


L3- Live, Learn,and Lead

Schmidty

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Leave it to Schmidt Dog to put it all back in perspective. I read the Dakota Meyer story and let's face it: he and guys like him put any Ironman, ultraman, marathoner, or Tour de France cyclist to shame. What we do is a game.It is thanks to them I have the freedom to either go for a 1 hour run or sit my lazy ass on the couch.
Just to be spoken about in the same breath as the Medal of Honor is incredible.
Big ups to you and your family for the crossfit, soccer, back to school, cycling, physical therapy, and cancer walks. I read just today that 1 of every 2 men will have cancer and one of every 3 women will get cancer in their life. Kudos to her. Just let me know how we can help and the Millers will do it.
In closing, you tell Toby that I expect both of you to be Ironmen! If you can dream it, you can be it!
Kia Kaha!

Schmidty said...

You said it all when you talked about the sacrifice these men and woman make for us to have our freedom to run, and bike, and race. Hopefully you will all meet Dakota on our next adventure.

CBacon said...

Dude, I can't wait to meet him. Past dying for your Country; this sort of heroism is the ultimate sacrafice... Pumped about Becca's recovery and Karl would be happy to donate to her fund, so just send it to his UT address. Amazing that Cole wants to be that involved but leading by example you are! Great job...