Sunday, August 8, 2010

Keeping Team Topper Tri Alive

First, here is my weekly update:
Monday Rest
Tuesday 30 minute bike trainer session
Wednesday Rest
Thursday 30 minute run
Friday Rest
Saturday 1:30 hour bike ride on Parmer with @timtaliaferro. Tim is a strong rider and he really pushed me. We averaged over 19 mph for the 34 miles. 17 miles of it was in a headwind and with several sustained climbs. It was the best bike workout I've had since the Shiner Ride 100 miler. I'm definitely not in racing shape but this year is all about keeping some base fitness and endurance. I feel confident my goals are being exceeded.
Sunday 1:20 hour run. My legs were heavy after yesterday's ride but I had no soreness and it wasn't long before I found my rhythm. I negative-split the run and finished strong.
Watched a little bit of the replay of the Ironman World Championships before going out with my family. We enjoyed a nice afternoon together. I climbed a tree with my kids. My brother and I climbed trees a lot growing up and doing so with my own kids this afternoon was a special moment.

And now for the explanation of my post's title.

My feeling is that Team Topper Tri has come to the fork in the road. In one direction, we can continue making weekly updates whenever it's convenient. In another direction, we can decide to commit ourselves anew to making our weekly posts. And in yet another direction is the end of the Team Topper Tri blog; an idea whose time has run its course.

I hope it is our decision to pick the middle road, a road to a new dedication to the blog. It doesn't mean that a post has to be about your weekly workout update. Perhaps you want update your fellow members on personal, family, or work issues and moments. Perhaps you want to share your thoughts on something you've experienced. Perhaps you want to get our thoughts on an idea or a feeling. Whatever it is, whatever is filling your mind or touching your heart, I hope you'll share it.

This blog has seen us through a lot of transformations: new experiences, new jobs, new relationships, new homes, new families, and so much more. It has seen us through good times and not so good times. It has certainly meant a lot to me and I'd hate to lose it. That said, this is not MY blog. This is the Team Topper Tri blog. It is OUR blog. It is anyone who wants to join's blog. If it has lost its importance in your life, I can respect and appreciate that. I'll follow your lead.

I am renewing my commitment to post. You might even notice that I've begun posting my triathlon tweets even to the Team Topper Tri Facebook page. I am renewing my commitment not only to Team Topper Tri but to all my social media outlets. I'm connecting with people from across Austin, from across Texas, from across the US, and from across the world. I'm not being reactive. I'm being proactive about my virtual relationships as I have seen many of them become real-world relationships.

If you have lost your excitement about TTT, tell me what you think we need to do to get it back. Perhaps you want to use another blogging platform or want to refresh our look. Perhaps you need to hear something different from the members. Whatever it is you need, let us know.

I'm making a commitment to you and to our followers and anyone who wants to join us to uphold my part of our tacit bargain. I hope you'll agree to do the same and I look forward to hearing your thoughts to my post.

Your brother always,

Karl

Kia Kaha!

3 comments:

Schmidty said...

Karl,

I am in full support of the effort behind re-committing to the TTT blog. Last year I was a happy follower, but these days I actively check every day to see what my brothers are doing and what comments they have. I honestly want to know about everyone’s training, their races, their success and their frustrations. Why? Because it makes my successes and frustrations real, and I know I am not alone in this lifestyle change. Earlier this year I posted that it was all of you that motivated, and inspired me to continue trying to be a healthier person and be an example for my family and those around me. I still need that inspiration everyday, and this blog is a great resource.
I appreciate Karl posting his thoughts and look forward to hearing from everyone else.
L3 – Live, Learn, Lead
Schmidty

CBacon said...

Yes, yes, yes....a recommitting we will go...I too have felt like my posting was at a crossroads. The support you guys gave me during marathon training was awesome and not sure I want to take on addtional BIG goal events without our group...it's too important to me. I have continued to train each week; however posting those trials and trainings have fallen victim on multiple weeks. I've had some good stuff to tell too (in my mind). I think we can impact each other and newcomers to our blog; however a newcomer would likely stray if we made it easy to do so. 2 suggestions...1 is maybe we each seek out a newcomer to join our blog, a recruiting effort so to speak,if we have a newbie relying on us for info and accountability it will help us all and 2. might be to consider a name change to be more inclusive? The name change is treading on sacred water so to the original creators I bow.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the continued commitment, Schmidt Dog and Claude.
Claude, I think you bring up a very important point. There are friends I would invite to join us but both the Topper and Tri on the name could be a hindrance. Most of my prospects are neither Toppers nor triathletes (runners and cyclists, mostly).
I'm open to suggestions. The only thing I ask is that we make it unique and fun. We can then build a new look around it and add some new bells and whistles to the blog. Perhaps take off some of the old information and other columns we don't use.
Hey, a little spring cleaning is always good...for the body and soul.
Thanks, all!