Thursday, September 9, 2010

Making a Difference

There are so many great things going on around me I have to take a second to be thankful. I often get caught up with seeing the frustrations in life and miss the joy. For example, Dino has shared his challenges and his victories and it has helped all of us have some clarity as we reflect. I know that his determination to rise above his current situation only motivates me more.

In the last two days I have had tremendously powerful conversations with Karl and Bacon about considering an Ironman in 2012 after I complete my doctorate. The thought of all of us training together through our blog, in the ultimate team initiative gets me fired up. I was blown away by the drive, the encouragement, and the commitment my brothers were already talking about making for something that is over two years away. What started out as a thought is quickly becoming an actual plan.

Once again I am blow away by my family. My wife, Rebecca is out raising money like a mad woman for the fight against cancer. She is doing it by being active and fit despite being frustrated with a slow recovery from her ACL surgery. She is even organizing a charity 5K event two weeks from now to help in her fundraising efforts. Then today, she blows me away and decided to commute to work on her bike. I cant stop smiling about that. Cole, well he just jumps right in and is swimming, cross training , riding, playing soccer, and is being more conscious about what he eats. I am proud that he recognizes what a healthy lifestyle is all about. Through it all they are backing me with my school work and training. I am truly blessed.

So again, I give pause to say thank you to each of you for sharing about your lives, your training, and for your unwavering support. The training tips from Karl make a difference. Claude making it affordable for me to stay in BG during classes and work on my course work makes a difference. Dino challenging me with his posts makes a difference.

This blog is meaningful, and so are the contributions each of us makes. The reality is that we are all making a difference for each other.

Thank you all.

Schmidty

1 comment:

DinoBravo said...

well spoken... The ironman is still in the back of my mind.... Id sign up today if I knew I could come out of the water... its a long swim.... come to louisville next august and we will watch it. it runs right through my neighborhood.... its an awesome thing to watch and would be a grand adventure to enter...

dino