Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ultimate Century Nutrition Plan

I'll finish with this post (I realize I'm flogging a dead horse by now).
My main worry for a race of this length is gastrointestinal distress. I cut back on fiber (salads, fruit, grains) on the three days leading up to race day (ate my final salad of the week tonight, for example). The most important meal of the week is actually the meal two nights before the race, so while I do carb up on the night immediately before, I do the actual carbo load meal two nights prior. The two nights prior is also your most important sleep night. The night before I'm usually so nervous and excited that sleep is hard to come by. I get to bed early or sleep late the two nights/morning before to make up for my lack of sleep the night before.
The day before the race I carry a water bottle around all day and sip from it continuously. After the expo, I try to get back home and put my feet up for the day. I lay out all my gear for race morning and make my list for what I want to eat for breakfast, take to the race, and have ready for after the race. The last thing I want to try to do is think through all that with an anxious body and mind on race morning.
I then get to transition early, get marked, get everything set up, hit the port-a-john (once, twice, three times), and get a warm up jog or swim. Then, I get down to the starting line and get ready for countdown!
I'd like to hear your pre-race rituals. Do share!
See you guys Thursday night!
Kia Kaha,
-Karl

No comments: