Sunday, September 14, 2008

Week In Review- Karl

Monday Rest
Tuesday 1 hour bike
Wednesday 31:13 run, 3.48 miles, 8:58 pace
Thursday 1800 meter swim
Friday 2000 meter swim
Saturday 3:30 hours bike ride
Sunday 2 hour run, 12.71 miles, 9:26 pace

Another good week. It was a busy, stressful work week, but the stamina our training provides helped me get through it with optimism and energy. It also makes my workouts even more important for my mental well-being.
The new shoes have given me new motivation for my runs. I feel strong and am able to handle the long runs with little muscle fatigue.
Experimenting with more fueling on long rides and runs. I can tell a marked difference in my energy, but I still need to do more. I used over 3600 calories over the past two days, so I'm trying to find a way to get the nutrition my body needs. I've lost another four pounds over the past few weeks (down to 161 lbs). What I wonder is if this is good or bad? Fewer pounds means less to carry on the ride and run and perhaps even an increase in VO2 max. But is this a good weight for me? It's still in a good range for my age and height and I feel OK, so I have to assume all is OK. I just need to ensure that my body doesn't cannibalize muscle in order to get calories. I have to be intentional about eating all day in order to maintain my weight and have the calories I need for the increase in training volume.
Still sad that Bighead can't be with us at the BDB. That was a big loss for the TTT. I'm pumped, however, about the date getting closer and look forward to seeing the rest of you in a couple of weeks. We'll have to drink a shot in Bighead's honor!
Kia Kaha!

No comments: