Sunday, December 14, 2008

Weekly Review- Karl

Run, Mark, Run! Have a great White Rock Marathon. Look forward to congratulating you on achieving another marathon.

Monday Off (Pretty sore from the previous day's long run)
Tuesday 45 minute bike ride; strength and balance workout
Wednesday 45 minute run on treadmill (4.43 easy at 10:10 pace)
Thursday 50 minute big gear bike workout on trainer
Friday Off (Took my son to a birthday party and Karlie and I had a date night- see Facebook for details)
Saturday Long run with Georgetown Runtex group; 18.04 miles in 2:40; 8:53 pace; 159 avg heart rate (this was advertised as a 16-mile run)
Sunday Rest day; Jenn and Karlie going to Nutcracker ballet. Not sure what Tristan and I will get into.

Another good week. I was pretty sore for a couple of days after last Sunday's run. Didn't get my protein down in the first 20 minutes and I paid for it. Rolled my legs on Tuesday and it helped a lot.
Did an easy, lower volume week. Had planned to do 16 miles in yesterday's long run, but when I checked my Polar, we actually did 18.04 miles. I did get a little off track once but not 2 miles! You guys will find that this happens a lot. Some of these routes are mapped on road distances. Running distance is usually greater. GPS watches will also go out in remote areas (and this route goes through several valleys and wooded areas), so if the distance is measured by GPS watch, it is likely to be longer than advertised.
I was REALLY pleased to see that I ran it at an easier pace and still kept it under 9 min pace for that kind of distance. I have to admit I was fatigued toward the end. The last 6 miles were brutal!
Drank a PureSport recovery drink immediately afterwards and I'm barely sore today. That stuff really works. The bottles come with the powder. You add the measured amount of water, shake, and drink. It's very convenient, tasty (I had the grape), and it works! Highly recommend it.
Watched the Ironman World Championships on NBC yesterday. I have every North American Ironman race from this year recorded on my DVR. It's my own library of motivation for the upcoming year! Great viewing for those long bike trainer workouts, too.
Tristan and I leave for California on Thursday. Spending five days with my grandparents. CANNOT wait! It's been a while since I've seen Rose and Orville and it will be great to see them. My grandfather has not been doing well physically over the last year. That will be hard for me to see, but being with them and seeing them with Tristan will really add a special touch to our Christmas and upcoming New Year.
Have a great week men. Kia Kaha!

1 comment:

CBacon said...

You're an animal! 18 miles period is serious biz during the holidays....can't wait to hear about the trip...Send them my love...